1. Health

Richard N. Fogoros, M.D.

Diastolic Dysfunction

By May 9, 2014

More and more people today are being told that they have "diastolic dysfunction" (or diastolic heart failure.) Diastolic dysfunction occurs when the ventricles of the heart become relatively "stiff," and thus it becomes relatively difficult to fill the ventricles with blood in between heart beats. Read what causes diastolic dysfunction, how it is diagnosed, what it means to have it, and how it is treated, here.

Comments
September 21, 2007 at 11:52 pm
(1) nanette chiafala, r.n. says:

i would like to add an additional possible cause of diastlic dysfunction–the invasive laser surgical procedure called a “T. M. R.” (Transmyocardial Revascularization ); this procedure is done on some patients to help promote small “internal” vessel growth to the left ventrical (to help with known angina) by way of laser-drilling numerous small holes into the left ventricle. This was based on studies done that showed that repitles’ hearts have an internal blood supply , as compared to that of humans, with an external blood supply. However, in some patients (possibly those more prone to develop keloid scars), couldn’t it be possible that considering the heart muscle has had all those holes made, scar tissue will develop, thus rendering the left ventricle “stiff” ?

September 5, 2008 at 4:34 pm
(2) va66 says:

Dear Doctor:
I have recently been diagnosed with LV diastolic dysfunction. I had open heart surgery in February of this year and had my aortic valve replaced.
I understand there are different phases of this dysfunction. Can you perhaps tell me more about the length of these phases. I am now considered “mild”.
Thank you for your article and help.

November 7, 2008 at 9:58 pm
(3) melissa says:

I just had a echocardiogram for svt’s and pvc’s. It said suggestion of diastolic dysfuction and my left ventricle measurements were not in the normal range either. Should this be concerning even if it states normal, but with the diastolic dysfuction?

August 17, 2009 at 2:48 pm
(4) Kathy says:

My mother is 85 years old last November she was told her left ventricle had slowed down, it didn’t open and close as fast as it should. Just a month ago I took to the hospital and they said she was just old. She can’t walk across a room without being SOB and then the pitch of her voice goes up and she studders terribly. I think she has diastolic disfunction, but her doctor just gets mad at the suggestion. She says my mom is old. To me that is a cop out.
What do you think Thanks

April 30, 2010 at 8:36 am
(5) ahmed tahir says:

my mother is 63 ys and had a echocardiogram It said LV diastolic dysfuction, aortic sclerosis& trivial AR. MAC with MR. Please help me about what shall we do in her case, Thanks

July 25, 2010 at 4:04 pm
(6) rexleyscul says:

apple retreat agriculture

May 17, 2012 at 2:33 am
(7) dragon eye fruit says:

I’ve learn several excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you set to make this kind of fantastic informative site.

June 11, 2012 at 2:05 am
(8) george says:

Dear dr. I have been diagnosed with diastolic dysfuncion. And I have been wandering about how it would be to get fixed. My breathing is not good, I can not walk very far without getting out of breath. I do not smoked.

July 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm
(9) Tina says:

Dear doctor, I was told at the age 17 I have stage one diastolic dysfunction. I am 20 now and have been passing out more and more with doing to littlest things. Should I be consumed about this being at stage 2 or higher.

July 24, 2012 at 8:47 am
(10) heartdisease says:

You need to see your doctor soon for an evaluation. Passing out while doing activity is a potentially dangerous sign.

November 29, 2012 at 2:19 pm
(11) donna says:

i just saw a cardiac doc. even thou i have chest pain an fluttering, shortness of breath, extreme dizziness, etc. and diastolic dysfunction, mitral regug, tricusbid regurg and aortic seliosis. he says at 58 it is normal and i am fine.(no cad) ??