1. Health

Richard N. Fogoros, M.D.

An Update on Bleeding Problems with Dabigatran (Pradaxa)

By December 30, 2012

Dabigatran (Pradaxa) is an anticoagulant (blood-thinner) that is being used as a substitute for Coumadin (warfarin) in people with atrial fibrillation.  It is important for most people with atrial fibrillation to take an anticoagulant to reduce the risk of stroke.

While there are many advantages of dabigatran over Coumadin, there has been one serious concern with this new drug , namely, that serious bleeding episodes, should they occur, might be more severe and more difficult to control on the newer drug. While this remains a concern with dabigatran, a new study has recently been presented which appears to show that serious bleeds on dabigatran are actually no more dangerous than serious bleeds that occur with Coumadin.

Read here about the latest information on bleeding problems with dabigatran.

Comments
January 7, 2013 at 5:20 pm
(1) carollee says:

Thank you for the Update. I have taken Pradaxa for over a yr. I am satisfied with it. I am 70 now….I wonder if it will be safe as I get closer to 75….are Bleeds more likely then?

January 14, 2013 at 9:33 am
(2) Sandy says:

Pradaxa doesn’t have an anecdote for bleeding problems. Coumadin does. For that reason, I would never use Pradaxa or any similar drug. Too risky.

January 14, 2013 at 11:02 am
(3) dave says:

Why is there no interest from the medical establishment in nattokinese as an anticoag? Some cardiologist embrace it as well as serrapeptase for afib. We always have to go with the most lethal drugs instead of looking for a solution in nature, or what is successful in other countries, other paradigms. Praxdaxa does not have continual INR’s. So why discount something like Nattokinese?

January 14, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(4) William Gordon says:

As I cannot take Warfarin because of digestive problems (I have had major surgery for bowel cancer) I have been on Clopidogeral for the pat three years or so without suffering any side-effects. However, some six months ago my consultant suggested Dabigatran as a possible alternative as apparently this is a better antithrombotic agent.As there is a risk of kidney failure with this medication my kidney function had to be monitored, so a ‘base line’ blood analysis was taken before begining the medication, and again in one months time,The result was surprising: Although the kidney funtion remained o.k. there was a significant liver malfunction! Obviously, medication was stoppped and I reverted to Clopidogeral. My consultant has now suggested Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) and to date the only ‘side-effects’ have been feeling somewhat ‘drowsy’ but as I am retired this is no great problem to me.I am due to have the results of the second blood test following one month of being on this medication, so it’s ‘fingers crossed’ time!

March 21, 2013 at 9:09 pm
(5) PC says:

William Gordon stated Dabigatran (Pradaxa) can cause kidney failure. That is not true. They monitor your kidney function because Dabigatran is eliminated by the kidneys, so if you have kidney problems, you shouldn’t take Dabigatran.

Sandy said: “Pradaxa doesn’t have an anecdote…” Let me give you an anecdote about Pradaxa…Here it is:

I was talking to this guy who takes Coumadin/Warfarin. He told me there was no anecdote for Pradaxa. I said, I think you mean “antidote”, and he said it doesn’t have one of those either. … 2,3, 4…

I told him they were working on one. Funny.

I love anticoagulant anecdotes.

April 24, 2013 at 4:10 pm
(6) Jay says:

My cardiologist put me on Pradaxa because of the bigger reduction in stroke. He said pradaxa showed risks of bleeds about the same at warfrin but fewer strokes which is what I worried about anyway.
After 6 years on warfarin, I was glad to not get the finger sticks or watch how much salad I ate.