1. Health

Richard N. Fogoros, M.D.

The "Plavix Rebound" Phenomenon

By February 6, 2008

An article in today's (February 6) Journal of the American Medical Association suggests that, in patients who have been treated with either stents or medical therapy for acute coronary artery syndromes (ACS, that is, either heart attack or unstable angina), suddenly stopping Plavix (clopidogrel) may be associated with a "rebound" effect. This rebound effect is manifested by the sudden occlusion of the coronary artery, leading to heart attack or death.

Plavix reduces the function of blood platelets, and thus reduces the chance that a blood clot will form in the diseased coronary artery after treatment. Therapy with Plavix is currently recommended for one year after treatment for ACS, and is often continued for longer than one year if a drug-eluting stent has been used as part of that treatment.

In monitoring 3137 patients who received Plavix after being treated for ACS, the authors of this new study say that the patients' chance of having a heart attack or dying was nearly twice as high during the 90 days after Plavix was stopped, than it was after this 90-day interval. They speculate that perhaps tapering Plavix instead of stopping it abruptly, or perhaps increasing the dose of aspirin during the first 90 days after stopping Plavix, may help to reduce this rebound effect - but of course, more studies will need to be done to see whether either of these strategies are effective.

DrRich Comments:

This study is the first to document an apparent increase in risk immediately after Plavix therapy is stopped. However, any regular visitor to our forum will be familiar with the phenomenon, since we've heard plenty of stories there that fit with the notion of a "Plavix rebound." Also, one suspects that many (if not most) cardiologists have their own experiences in this regard, considering their otherwise inexplicable vehemence in refusing to allow their patients to stop Plavix long enough to have needed surgical procedures.

So, we owe thanks to the authors of this new article for bringing this problem, at last, out into the light of day.

Patients with ACS need aggressive therapy in any case, in order to optimize their odds of long-term survival. And with any aggressive therapy there will be inherent risks. It is therefore useful to have those risks fully defined. The only good way to get around the risks of treatment, unfortunately, is to do everything possible to avoid needing treatment in the first place, by aggressively managing cardiac risk factors.

Where this new information really ought to make a difference is in patients whose doctors are recommending stent placement (as opposed to medical therapy) for stable coronary artery disease. Doctors are obligated to fully inform those patients of the risks of stent placement, and now, for the first time, one of the risks that they're obligated to describe is the possibility of a Plavix rebound.

Sources:

Ho PM, Peterson ED, Wang L, et al. Incidence of death and acute myocardial infarction associated with stopping clopidogrel after acute coronary syndrome. JAMA 2008; 299:532-539.

Comments
February 11, 2008 at 11:08 pm
(1) Stanley Abramson says:

I was taking Plavix for a year after my stent was installed. My doctor said that I can stop taking it which I did. Its been about three months that I stopped it with no bad effects. Maybe because I also take Coumadin and baby aspirin because of my Atrial Fibrillation.

February 12, 2008 at 12:31 am
(2) lauran says:

I have been on plavix for three years following non coated stent replacement. I got the stents because they put two holes in my aorts during angioplasty. No one has ever suggested taking me off of plavix. Indeed, i was told it was a lifetime drug for me.

February 12, 2008 at 3:48 am
(3) Richard B says:

I was put on Amodiarone when I had no arrythmias and stopped that after 3 months. No problem. I now ask why I was put on Clopidogrel when all I had was an angiogram with no stents fitted? Is there a problem in the UK with consultants putting people on drugs just for the sake of it? Having read this blog, I now intend to phase out the Clopidogrel as well.

February 12, 2008 at 6:31 am
(4) SR says:

Please do not stop Plavix/Clavix even after a year after stent placement.Along with Plavix take baby aspirin,BP tablets and good cardio exercise for atleast three years.Also note that the tendency for clot formation in the blood varies with each individual and there is no test or criteria to identify this.Hence safer to take Plavix or a cheaper alternative.

February 12, 2008 at 8:29 pm
(5) Nurse says:

I had 3 drug-eluting stents inserted almost a year and a half ago. I have been on Plavix since and was told I would be taking it for the rest of my life. Despite Plavix and Asprin therapy, within 1 year, one of my stents has completely occluded. I NEVER miss taking my meds. Wished there was a cheaper alternative or a generic Plavix. Despite my medical insurance–it’s still quite expensive.

February 18, 2008 at 11:08 am
(6) Philip Rudnick says:

Some safe anti-platelet-aggregation nutraceuticals as substitutes for Plavix:

Mixed Tocopherols (NATURAL Vitamin E)
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract (non-odorous)
Cocoa
EPA (an omega-3 fatty acid)
Olive oil
Ginger
Green tea
Magnesium
Curcumin (in Turmeric)
Bromelain
Pomegranate juice

The anti-platelet-aggregation action of these nutraceuticals have all been documented in Medline.

April 30, 2008 at 8:03 pm
(7) keith says:

I had 1 drug-eluting stent and was on Clopidogrel for 1 year then it stopped. im now back on it because last week I had a small heart attack.

July 13, 2008 at 11:44 am
(8) Cindy says:

My husband had medicated stents put in. Took plavix for 2 years three months when the doctors stopped it. One month later he experienced an acute or severe heart attack and is still hospitalized.

July 22, 2008 at 11:46 pm
(9) GearBear says:

I had emergency stent placement four and one-half years ago. I’ve got four Cordis® drug-eluting stents….two in each of the two compromised artieries which were the RCA and the LAD. Both arteries shut down 100% on the same day. I just now experienced some “angina-like” symptoms two weeks ago. I was on Plavix for over a year and then just quit due to a move and the expense of the drug. I was only told recently that I “should get back on Plavix ASAP” by a cardiologist. So far, after receiving BP med, Xanax, and continuing with the good heart-healthy diet and exercise plan….I’ve lost 10 lbs and haven’t had another chest pain in 6 days straight. (knocking on wood) ~G.

October 28, 2008 at 8:57 pm
(10) Peter says:

Had 1 stent put in two years ago and have been on Plavix ever since. Every time I try move off Plavix I encounter the following symptoms:

1. Day 1 – no problem
2. Day 2 – loose appetite
3. Day 3 – slight nausea
4. Day 4 – Nausea + slight chest pain

I end up double dosing the Plavix for a few days which brings me back to normal. I’ve seen two cardiologists on this one and neither has heard of this problem before. They’ve both stated that if an event occurs, its a major event, not a gradual event as I’ve described. Have also tried to gradually tranistion off Plavix, but somehow, that doesn’t seem to work either.

November 19, 2008 at 7:16 pm
(11) lORRAINE yOUNG says:

hAVE BEEN ON PLAVIX FOR 4 YEARS SINCE MY TRIPLE BY-PASS AS WELL AS AMIODARONE (5 DAYS A WEEK) AND FEEL GREAT. hOWEVER, i HAVE MICROSCOPIC BLOOD IN MY URINE AND AM GOING FOR A CYSTOSCOPY OF MY BLADDER, ETC. BUT WAS WONDERING IF PLAVIX COULD CAUSE HEMATURIA (TRACE AMOUNT OF BLOOD INURINE). HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS SITUATION?

February 24, 2009 at 2:29 pm
(12) Faye says:

Hi,
My husband take Plavix now for almost a year. Our insurance does not cover any brand names. I was having a friend send it from India for half price, but customs have said if it is available in the USA we can’t bring it in the country. Is generic just as good as the brand name “Plavix”. There is a website super saver meds com that offers it as a generic.
thanks

February 24, 2009 at 2:47 pm
(13) heartdisease says:

Faye,

To the best of my knowledge it is illegal to sell generic Plavix in the US.

DrRich

March 10, 2009 at 5:59 am
(14) Ernie says:

First, Of course it’s illegal to sell a generic here because the drug company hasn’t made enough money yet raping us by overcharging for it.

But more to the point of this. I have been on Plavix for 5 years 6 months. I was only off once for 10 days before a medical procedure. My initial stent was non medicated within 3 months the artery scare tissue blocked it.

I was scheduled for radiation therapy (Brakey SP?) but they couldn’t get the beads to the stent so they put in two medicated stents.

Now I’m on Plavix for life.

Big problem I have is that I’ve lost my job and because it was a contract job I can not collect unemployment and now have no health insurance.

All the programs for free Plavix are based on last year’s income. Not the temporary or immediate need of now work now and no income today or until I find a job.

So I’m screwed. My doctor gave me a month of samples but after that I’m SOL

And I’m scared to death if I can get this and my Crestor.
Ernie

April 6, 2009 at 4:48 pm
(15) Mary says:

The unfortunate thing about Plavix is that doctors were lied to about the drug! There are class action suits everywhere right now.
There is ABSOLUTELY no proof that plavix prevents restenosis of the stents and the
dangers far outweigh the benefits, sorry.

April 30, 2009 at 1:00 pm
(16) RITA ROSENTHAL says:

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT VITAMINS AND MINERALS CAN BE SAFELY TAKEN WITH PLAVIX.

February 24, 2010 at 11:24 am
(17) Neal says:

I’ve been on Plavix daily since 2001, my cardiologist said today that it should be stopped in April 2010 (one months time from posting). I had vaguely heard of Plavix rebound and googled accordingly. This has made me quite anxious and I’d like to know if there have been any additional reports of this rebound effect.

I think also I should write to my NHS Cardiologist consultant and request that my dose be reduced gradually.

The fewer drugs I have to take, the better. But I don’t want a heart attack as a result.

March 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm
(18) Dizziness & blurred vision says:

I’m female; 57; psoratic arthritis; breast cancer survivor; heart attack end of 2009. Of all the drugs I’m on, I left the hospital with 2 Xience V stents and Plavix. Within a couple days, I had dizziness which by the end of Feb grew close to vertigo. It then morphed into swimming vision and sudden horrible headaches.

Had a very thorough eye exam – unchanged.

Had to go on antivert which helped some, but it’s a nightmare with loss of balance.

Then had a head CT – again completely normal.

From the beginning, the ONLY change for me was adding the Plavix but neither my GP or cardiologist will take that seriously. I did find that although rare, these are side effects with Plavix. Anyone else have this?

June 19, 2010 at 10:10 am
(19) christian iribarren says:

“To the best of my knowledge it is illegal to sell generic Plavix in the US”
Dr. Rich,
Don’t want to start a flame war here, but this is not what Faye was asking…this is not a legal forum, so best not to volunteer this kind of information.

July 20, 2010 at 2:12 am
(20) JW says:

If your Dr puts you on plavix, or the newer sister drug, effient, please don’t stop it with out consulting your CARDIOLOGIST. Your family Dr is a moron in this area. I have seen to many times, I only stopped it for 3 days for dental work, now you are having a heart attack at 3 am and you have taken a hit. I am not a Dr nor a sales rep, I’m the one working on you though!

August 21, 2010 at 11:19 am
(21) Patsy says:

My doctor(?) put me on Plavix after a mini stroke, although the stroke was verified only after a MRI. (Didn’t show up on 2 CT scans) Never was told whether it was a bleed or a clot, and this was not specified on the MRI.

Would love to get off Plavix, but my GP has never met a drug she didn’t like.

Any suggestions?

Patsy

August 24, 2010 at 4:26 pm
(22) holly says:

Had a a heart attack in March of 2009 had triple bypass everything went well. Complained of angina afterwards in June 0f 09 (mostly under left arm) passed a stress test with flying colors. Two weeks later was in the ER with another heart attack and had a stent placed and angioplasty in my bypasses. The docs had failed to change my statin or increase it. Got on Plavix and have had no problems except for annoying bruising at times. Saw a new cardio who placed me on crestor–with absolutely miraculous results. Also still on plavix and 325 mg aspirin. Been off it twice for a biopsy and surgery not related to the heart. Have had no problems while of it.

September 15, 2010 at 3:14 pm
(23) RB says:

Had 3 stents put in in April of this year. A catheter was installed but nurse had trouble getting it in. Another nurse assisted, put in another catheter. First attempt must have bruised something internally, because I had blood in my urine after they got the second one to work. Took a long time (weeks) for the bleeding to stop but when I do some not very strenuous exercises or take a long walk I still get some blood in my urine. Backing off exercise clears up urine in a couple days. Never had blood in urine before April. I take a Plavix and a low-dose aspirin daily. Could the Plavix be preventing my body from healing as thoroughly as it would have without the Plavix in my system? Has anybody else had a similar experience?

September 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm
(24) Gregorio says:

I have been on plavix for 2 years, following a stent procedure, and lipitor for 14 years after a 5 way bypass. The makers of plavix having us coming and going – you have to go on it and then you can’t go off it. It’s like the Hotel California. I don’t believe anything my cardiologist tells me any more about these drugs. Obviously they all work hand in hand with the medical “industry.”

December 20, 2010 at 1:51 am
(25) foreb says:

have had none medicated stent for 13 years, never any problems. only took asprin everyday. Sept. 08 i needed stent in another artery. Dr. insisted it be medicated. took plavix for thirteen months, got off of it with no effects. now i have to return on Dec. 21 2010 for more stent. i am torn between to allow medicated or insist on none medicated because i am now on medicare insurance and with my other medications I’ll be in the do-nut hole in short order in 2011. I was just barely able to escape falling in it this year. i just don’t have anything left to give up so i can cover the cost of plavix.

January 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm
(26) PAM says:

MY HUSBAND STAYED ON PLAVIX FOR 3 YEARS AFTER HAVING STENTS FITTED AND HIS GP STOPPED IT SUDDENLY AFTER CONTACTING HIS CONSULTANT WHO SAID HE SHOULD NOT STILL BE TAKING IT. ALMOST IMMEDIALTLY WE NOTICED HIS HEALTH DETERIORATE- BUT THE GP WOULD NOT PUT HIM BACK ON PLAVIX. 2YEARS LATER HE HAD AN MI DUE TO COMPLETE REOCCULSION OF THE SAME ARTERY WHICH THEY NOW CAN NOT STENT.

March 18, 2011 at 12:03 am
(27) Pat says:

I have had a plain stent put in a year ago. I have only had aspirin off and on for the last year and took Plavix and Warfarin without fail but since there has been so much bleeding, I have only used about .35 of Warfarin instead of the usual .5. Now the year is over and I am worried about taking the Aspirin for the rest of my life because every time I take an 88 mg. aspirin for a few days, I end up in the ER having to have my nose packed. I guess I should maybe continue to take the Plavix. I do not agree that everyone can take garlic as it interferes with Warfarin and causes excessive bleeding. Anyway, I will seek my Cardiologists opinion before stopping anything. I heard there is a new drug coming down the pike that will combine all three therapies and be easier to manage. Has anyone heard of this?

March 21, 2011 at 10:46 am
(28) Lyman Duggan says:

I had stents placed in two by-pass veins. I was on Plavix for two years following and, as it is expensive, asked if I could come off of it and use asprin alone. Doctor said yes you should be ok now. Within 3 months I lost both stents.

Stented again, Left coronary in two places and went on generic Clopidogrel and heart attack 2 months later. Cardiologist in Thailand said the Indian made Clopidogrel was on a list of drugs with problems that they received from their government Health Department. Massive doses of Plavix and blood thinner injections and I returned to normal after 3 days ICU in Chiang Mai. Now Plavix forever for me.

April 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm
(29) Pat Gunn says:

I did not have a problem stopping Plavix. My Cardiologist said I could stop it after a year. So a few days before the end of the last prescription, I started using a half a pill, then a quater of a pill for a couple of days and then no pill. I did get a bump of the heart about the time for the pill on the first 2 days but then nothing. I do not think it is necessary to continue taking Warfarin, which I was on before for stroke, Plavix and Aspirin. It is too dangerous and I had to be hospitalized twice for unstoppable bleeding. I also think Plavix is quite expensive for me at $80 over what my insurance will pay. So, I quit. I ahve been fine and actually feel better now than I did. I do continue with Warfarin and Aspirin.

April 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm
(30) Pat gunn says:

I must have typed wrong. Easy to do after a stroke. But I did not mean not to continue taking Warfarin after Plavix cessation. I know I will have to take Warfarin all my life because of possibility of stroke. However, if someone comes up with a drug for all 3, Warfarin, Plavix and Aspirin, I will think about switching to that, even if it is expensive. I have had no stent problems but then, my stent is uncoated. This stent was put in by accident but my Cardiologist said it was a mistake but maybe a good thing because it would last longer. He shook his head at the foibles of wrong stents being put in. Doctors sometimes don’t get what they order but I have had no problems so I am thinking, yay! Hope this continues.

May 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm
(31) emalene belinge says:

bout $45.00 for a 3 month supply.Of course you do need a prescription from your dr.for plavix.

June 22, 2011 at 6:14 am
(32) joe brush says:

Had coated stent put in back in Feb. , since then itching , continuous blood spots along with blood weeping through the skin on forearms as well as a bleeding spot on mid stomach area. Am taking aspiring with it , cardiologist knows , looks and shrugs saying nothing.
Went to a hematologist yesterday , she shrugs , she read my med list and see’s aspirin on the list , shrugs and says nothing.
Intuitively I sense these peoples know whats going on , my body is telling me, ( it is usually the first ” one ” to tell you ).
As of today I am stopping taking Plavix on my own . I’ve given up , I’ve done everything I could to seek medical attention and they ” shrug “. I’m tired of watching my foot swell , blood spots appear and fade along with seeing these so-called professional ” shrug “.
Hope Larry Altschul and the others @ South Bay Cardiology along with Reich feel better .

July 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm
(33) AL says:

I had a heart attack in 1995 at the age of 40. I was put on imdur and 325 mg of asprin until I suffered angina in 2002. I had one metal stent placed in the LCA and put on Plavix for 3 months. Got off the Plavix without complications. In February, 2010, I had chest pains, went to the ER and had 2 drug-eluding stents in the RCA. I was put on Plavix and was told for a year by my cardio. On August, Friday the 13th, 2010, I had that same chest pain while working out on the treadmill. I called my cardio and had 2 more stents between the first two received in Feb.. My Plavix med was now extended to Aug. 13th on 2011.
It is now July 6th and I am looking forward to getting off from the Plavix because of the continuous side effects produce from the drug. I have sharp pains that will come and go between my ribs on my sides, back, and chest without warning or injury. I take two Tramadol daily to take the edge of the pain. I don’t want to take anything stronger for fear of addiction and more side effects. I am really looking forward to getting off the Plavix. I pray that I can successfully.

July 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm
(34) Paul says:

I had a heart attack a few years ago. When I was laid off and was on unemployment getting plavix wasn’t a big deal. Now working full time and going back to school full time, I do NOT have the cash to spend for plavix as I am without insurance.

Heh, so much for economic recovery around here.

So I do take everything else as those are inexpensive, but at 135 bucks a pop. I cannot afford that. And I’ve YET to get quaulified for free plavix now that I am off unemployment.

So I have a choice. Quit school. Get on drugs. Stay in a crappy job fiend that is bieng shipped overseas. Or go to school pay my own way (not eligiable for student loans/grants) and suck it it up. I pay out of my pocket.

I choose school. Cut out the meat. Exercise. Stay on everything else, and pretty much go for anything I can to keep going.

I also fully expect to wake up dead, but then I should have died 3 years ago with the heart attack, so I can’t really complain.

July 12, 2011 at 12:56 am
(35) JG says:

Reply to (23) Rb. Aspirin slows healing of bruises. Lower the dosage if you can. After getting 2 stents I was put on plavix, baby aspirin, and other meds. Everytime I got a bruise it took 4 weeks or more to heal. I cut back from 2 baby aspirin to one and now bruises heal in half the time. If you have blood in urine tell your doctor.

August 6, 2011 at 11:09 am
(36) Betty Burtt says:

I am an 81 yr. old female. Had heart attack in 1986 and small stroke in 1992. Have been on Plavix plus baby aspirin daily since that time. Doctor does not seem to want me to discontinue the plavix, but due to excessive bruising and now nose bleeds, would like to stop. Could I just cut back slowly with no problems, maybe every other day and gradually stop all togethr?

August 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(37) ara says:

I had a moderate heart attack in November 2010. A stent was placed in one of the two arteries I had that were clogged. The stent went into the one I had the heart attack in, the other artery is 80% closed. My heart reading afterwards was borderline normal function. I was put on plavix and aspirin. NO ONE EVER TOLD ME ANYTHING ABOUT THE POSSIBLE NEED FOR ME TO BE ON PLAVIX FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, OR ABOUT THE REBOUND EFFECT. THIS was at NYU in NYC. I never took the aspirin. I took hawthorne to benefit heart muscle pump and grape seed extract, It is august 2011 my heart reading is completely normal. I am going to come off the plavix. I want to know about the study when it says they came off plavix does that mean with no other medications or they came off the plavix with no other thinning medications and had the rebound effect. It is important for me to know and were the 3,000 tested caucasian? that is important in liver function and plavix.

September 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm
(38) Anthony says:

When you have taken plavix and asprin for almost 7 months do you have blood in urine but don’t see it

October 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm
(39) Missy0513 says:

I had a dissected Carotid aneurysm in my neck that created alarge pseudoaneurysm on my Carotid sinus. Out of control hypertension,nausea,severe headaches, and neck pain. They found three other aneurysms. 5 stents, Plavix, and aspirin later, my life is saved. I love and trust my doctor.

December 30, 2011 at 6:53 pm
(40) george says:

stopped plavix after 5 years on it. heart exploded into 9 different peices now i am walking around with no heart. went to a specialist and he confirmed that my heart was blown up and would have to be removed damn plavix . i have got to go flying bannana monkeys are coming after me

February 1, 2012 at 2:22 pm
(41) GearBear says:

I posted earlier from 2008. (see above under my name GearBear)….so here’s what has happened – within two years after my last post my stents finished occluding 100% plus another artery around the back of my heart closed up due to not being able to afford Plavix. So near the end of 2010…I had to have a triple bypass. Three newly grafted arteries in place. All was fine until they took me off Plavix again….four months afterwards I experienced a TIA. The small stroke’s effects only lasted two days. Thank GOD it was “Transient” attack….and not a solid stuck blockage. So…yeah, I’m on Plavix for the rest of my life. I’m 60 and plan on putting in another 20. ;) ~Gear

February 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(42) SPC says:

Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Been almost 6 years since I had two drug eluting stents placed after a coronary incident. Been on 75 mg Plavix daily ever since (except for a week in 2009 prior to an upper and lower endoscopy; cardiologist took me off Plavix in favor of much more expensive daily injectable) and aspirin of course. Approaching 63 now, trying to stay with the program for exercise & diet (my liver was trying to kill me, too much cholesterol irrespective of diet) knowing both are critical for long-term good health.

Good news there well may be a generic for Plavix soon. I’m on a costly state-sponsored insurance plan for hi-risk individuals since losing my group coverage at the end of 2009. Monthly premium just under $1,000 & it’s another two years before I’m eligible for Medicare….

March 2, 2012 at 4:21 pm
(43) TheCeladon says:

I stopped taking Plavix 6 months after a DES. I also stopped Metoprolol, Lipitor, and aspirin. A year has passed and I’ve had no problems. I don’t take any prescription drugs of any kind. What I did was I adopted a strict vegan diet (Ornish) and take omega3′s. I’ve had numerous heart tests in the past year and all show normal heart function. Without any drugs my LDL is 70 and my BP is 110/70. I also exercise everyday.

March 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm
(44) Lucy says:

I have had some arteries close about 80 % and so they put in a stent. That was 2008 . Same thing in 2009 and 2010. Total of 8 stents. Now they say my Plavix is not working.(no spots) and want to put me on a new med called Brilinta They are 90 mg and you have to take two 12 hours apart. I took them and by 1:30 in the morning I had a severe headache, nausea, stomach ache dizzy and very weak and my friend took me to the E. R. They said I was dehydrated and also drank too much liquid because my sodium was very low. I also had a small amount of blood in my urine. That afternoon I had ten purple spots on my arms and legs. Some very tiny and some the size of a quarter. My doctor said that proves the meds were working. (Brilinta) and he wants me to stay on Brilinta. I went back on Plavix and 325 asperin and have made an appointmen with a specialist this week. I am scared to death.

April 13, 2012 at 8:51 pm
(45) Stephen says:

I had a heart attack in March of 2011. I immediately quit smoking, changed my diet completely, began going to the gym and excersizing regularly (after completing Cardiac rehab as a “star student”! Three weeks ago I had a nuclear stress test and passed it with flying colors. My cardiologist said to quit taking Plavix. 7 days after I stopped, I had a heart attack from a 100% blockage in the stents in my LAD, from blood clots formed from stopping Plavix! No one told me of ANY possible dangers. I think Plavix will now be taken for the rest of my life.

April 18, 2012 at 1:19 pm
(46) Eileen says:

Have you ever tried Nattokinase. A soya compound that eats clots. Worth discussion with doctor.

May 6, 2012 at 10:44 pm
(47) John says:

I had a heart attack in November. 6 months ago. My pharmacy gave me Mylan-Clopidogrel instead of Plavix last week. Apparently it is the new generic for Plavix.
Two days later while chopping wood ( something I have been doing for the last two months with no problems whatsoever) I felt tightness in my chest. It lasted 60 seconds and went away when I stopped chopping. tried again to work and pain came back. Went into the house and laid down for a while. Slept all the rest of that day and all night. Got up the next morning and felt like crap.
Went outside and tried to stack a little wood. Two pieces and pain again. Went inside and laid down. Rested for about 3 days before I started feeling better. Blood in my stools for all three of those days and maybe a couple more, but I lost count. About 20 small brusies on my body at the same time. They are about the size of a silver dollar.

It’s 2 weeks later now. I went out to the bush and filled my truck with wood, came home, split it and stacked it. I had a little discomfort but no real pain. I think I am on the mend but I wonder what happened? i’m going to the doc tomorrow, but probably should have gone 2 weeks ago. This generic drug has way different side effects than the Plavix does.

May 14, 2012 at 10:12 am
(48) Craig says:

I had a trivial heart attack (doctors description not sure I would call it that) at 48 while playing golf. I was am still active walk about 2 hours a day 10K plus although was over weight not obese at the time. I have taken Clapidogrel for just over 5 years no issues at all. Here is my problem have been scheduled for a regular colonoscopy and would have to come off clopidogrel not sure its worth the risk. My cardiologist told me the chances of death from uncontrolled bleeds is about half the risk of late stage stenosis but at 53 I’m worried about staying on the drug. I’m so torn by what to do. It seems to me that the use of DES should have been banned a long time ago, any procedure that requires lifelong medication with serious side effects when an alternative is available is criminal plain and simple.

May 16, 2012 at 10:37 pm
(49) John says:

Well, well,well…Went to my doctors office and he decided to set me up for angioplasty. He said it would be a month’s wait. ( I live in Canada.) I left his office and by the time I got to my truck I had bad chest pains. I turned around and walked back to his office and told him I couldn’t wait a month.
He admitted me to the hospital right away. The next day they put a stent in me. I had a 90% blockage right at the end of the first stent they put in me 6 mos ago.
I’m much better now.!!

August 15, 2012 at 11:44 pm
(50) Deb says:

I have been on Plavix since 1998 with no problems. I suffered 3 MI’s within one yr. Feb 1998 to Feb 4, 1999. My cardiologist has me on a great regiment of meds and supplements. I was back into the hospital in 2007 with another 90% blockage, but I am doing great. I was 46 at the time of my first MI and I will be 61 in Jan.
I look forward to a long life.

August 18, 2012 at 2:53 pm
(51) Max says:

Looks like there is no right or wrong…. just like playing Russian Roulette!
Had a 4 way bypass in 1992 and in April 2012 had 6 medicine alluding stents installed in two of the vein bypass grafts (2 in 1 & 4 in another)… 3rd vein bypass graft closed off in 2003 and is said to be insignificant at this time… the other bypass spare part was taken from my chest and currently it has good blood flow!
So….. here is my need (situation) and I need input from those that have experienced something similar to the following:
I am scheduled for an upper and lower GI inspection (Endoscopy & Colonoscomy) at the end of this month 30th of April! The reason why I’m having the procedures is because of my recently diagnosis of… Iron Deficiency Anemia and Low Ferritin. So…. the Doc’s are trying to see if I have internal bleeding! My Gastroenterology Dr. is seeking permission from my Cardiologist DR. to take me off the Plavix 75mg and the 81 mg Aspirin in preparation for the procedures! I also had a Colonoscamy in 2005 which was normal except for an AVM. So… what is next.. what should I be doing! Thanks for your thoughts!

October 21, 2012 at 11:41 pm
(52) Nadine says:

I’ve been on plavix, 75mg since May 2008 after a dreg eluteing stent was placed in my heart where I had already had a double bypass surgery. Also on warfrin since 2004 for pacemaker (fast heart beat). I’m too tired to walk or do my house work. If I do walk for 15 mins. I hurt between my shoulder blades. My stomach bloats and hurts,choking feeling,my knees have detereiated badly, and ankle also is swelling, turns purple and also giving way on me. I’ve had two stress tests with no indications of what the problem was. I can hardly get up and down with my knees, my bloodpressure drops down to as low as 69/42 around mid-day. I’m on Nifediac 30 mg twice daily. It goes up to as high as 170/95 by morning so I have to take it twice a day. I can hardly walk or sit up at that time. I’m also nauseated and lose my balance at times. I had none of this before 2008 when the Dr.started me on Plavix. I wish I had never heard of a drug eluting stent. It sounds like I will always be on it from the posts I have just read.

November 2, 2012 at 1:35 am
(53) Eric says:

On October 22nd of 2010 I suffered a miles heart attack while hunting. The only symptoms I had where left arm pain. I checked in to the ER and on the 25th had a stent but in in my LAD which was 90% blocked. I was but on Plavix from then to August of 2012. I was told to just stop taking it by my doctors. I now suffered yet another Heart Attack on the 28th of October 2012 and now have a stent in my RCA. Just wait tell they see there thoughts when I tell them about the Rebound Effect of just stopping Plavix. They almost did me in this time…….

January 12, 2013 at 8:47 pm
(54) Jackie says:

I just read every previous post and my heart goes out to everyone. I don’t know how to feel at the moment. I am happy that I didn’t have a heart attack after going to a NY hospital from heart attack symptoms, I had 100% occlusion of my right proximal artery! So yes I am very thankful, I did not have a heart attack. On the other hand I am very upset that I may possibly be on Plavix for the rest of my life. I am 55 years old and was never given an option or information on bare metal stents vs. drug eluding stents. This is unjust and there should be a law requiring patients to be informed about those options and the risks.

Seems to me there’s a preference in the medical community and FDA to place drug alluding stents so they can keep people on PLAVIX. It’s all about $$$$$$.

January 13, 2013 at 11:05 am
(55) mitch1204 says:

I’ve been on Effient for 22 months and told for life with my Liberty coated stent. My dad died at 46 from a heart attack and both my older brothers had quadruple bypass at 46. Both had multiple stent placements since then and did the 1 year Plavix thing. Luckily my first episode was when I was 49 with 99% blockage in the RCA. The cardiologist knows my brothers and this is why he is taking a different approach with me because he knows I’m a very high risk. My oldest brother just had another heart attack, got two more stents and was put on Effient. I’m disabled now because of many health problems but for people with money problems you can get on the Lily Cares program. I get my Effient for free straight from the manufacturer which ships to my cardiologist and I pick up a 4 month supply at a time. Google LilyCares and you’ll find the easy application. There are several programs for free medicines if you just google and start applying.

March 14, 2013 at 8:57 pm
(56) Dawn says:

My husband had a MI at 29 and was placed on plavix. 6 months ago he went for a normal 6 month follow up with cardiologist and it was stopped for no apparent reason (after being on it 9 and 1/2 years). As a nurse I was concerned why we would abruptly stop it and called the cardiologist the reason I got is not everyone has to take it for life. 2 weeks ago my husband had a stroke at the age of 39. The neurologist was very confused why after 9 1/2 years plavix would have been stopped. I have a feeling the cardiologist should have left well enough alone. No issues on plavix and a CVA off it.

November 16, 2013 at 5:15 am
(57) Inderjit says:

I underwent CABG Surgery in December 2011 and have been on Clavix 75 since then – my surgeon has advised use of this drug as long as I live. My heart is in good shape, only the arteries were blocked. Please advise.

February 12, 2014 at 5:36 pm
(58) paul matell says:

At 43 I had a heart attach November 28 /2006 .. got a stent. put on cocktail of
Plavix( clopidogrel ) / metoprolol /Lipitor /aspirin ect …Bad side effects started a week later…
Heart palpitations loss of breath chest pains ..thought I was having another attack..ect ect
Went to hospital EKG showed irregularities so had another angioplasty .. guess what no blockage …heh…
I was taken off plavix year later dec 1 2007 had another heart attack jan 3rd /2008 …34 days after stopping the plavix .. doctor said it was just a coincidence ….ya right…
So they put another stent in me ..and back on plavix….bad side effects started again…..
So this time after the year was up I did not stop the plavix from fear of another attack ..so I weaned myself off plavix for the next 5 years to be safe ..from a 3/4 pill to 1/2 a pill to a 1/4 pill for last 2 years ..
I stopped the ¼ pill of plavix on dec 1 /2013 …no more chest pains / aching joints giant bruising …
Well I had another heart attack on feb 8th 2014… same old story ..its not plavix.. I would not let them do a angioplasty and put another stent in me this time .. I said jack me up on blood thinners and wait..
Then I did a stress test 2 days later with the radioactive dye and there was no blockage that could be found.. so they sent me home with my new prescription for plavix..
How the hell do i get off this demon plavix ???????

February 21, 2014 at 2:54 pm
(59) john says:

i have been taking plavix fot 18yrs following a aoto bifemoral by pass with no ill effect,in fact i would not be without it,thin blood very nice better that thick sticky stuff,i was prescribed asprin 75mg a day this was stopped because i developed ashma due to taking asprin a side effect which is rarely advertised, nothing bad to be said about plavix all good.

February 25, 2014 at 10:48 am
(60) prk says:

I had femoral bypass surgery last year. The right was blocked 90%, the left 100%. They put a stent in the right and ran a new artery to the left. I was told I need to take plavix for the rest of my life. I was laid up from the surgery for months because of the places the insisions were made. (3″s on either side of my crotch, ouch!) I lost so much muscle in my legs that I have no strength left. Now I’ve lost my insurance, my wife passed away from cancer, been denied unemployment and ran out of my meds. So I’m wondering how long before I join her? How long does the plavix rebound take after stopping the medication? I would ask my Dr. but can’t afford to see them. I’m not worried about it, just curious.

March 7, 2014 at 11:24 pm
(61) David says:

Looks like not everyone is not having the same benefits from taking Pravix. Had a MI in Oct 2010, 2 bare metal stent placed in left circumflex. Generic Pravix daily for 2 years without aspirin due to bad side effects. Good health care system here(Singapre). Unfortunately , I dont have a good cardiology. He takes my illness too lightly and dont bothers to explain much. Therefore i have to manage it myself. On the 3rd year, pravix, vasteral and metaprolol and Co Q10 100mg every other day and i add on daily intake of Nattokinase 100mg, Fish oil,Vitamin D3 1000iu, Vitamin K2 100 mcg and Astaxantin 2mg plus 4-5km of brisk walking once to twice a week till now. All for the heart and general health. I feel good and looking foward to a full recovery of any artery blockade.