If you have received a stent
for your stable coronary artery disease (that is, for a blockage in a coronary artery that was NOT causing an acute heart attack or unstable angina), please tell us what reason your cardiologist gave you for recommending a stent instead of non-invasive medical therapy.
Tell Us Your Reason
CT Calcium Score
- Diagnosed with Familial Hypercholesterolemia after TIA at age 28...fast forward after taking 80mg Lipitor at 51 have a CT Calcium score of 1220...next day RCA 4 stents.... Next week Left add'l 3 stents. Now add plavix, aspirin, beta blockers into mix... Start cardio rehab in a week. Heredity plays a MAJOR role here ... Father, Sister, Brother all passed away before the age of 50. I should also say that at 50 I had my very first Stress Test and passed.....the CT was a suggestion from my cardiologist.
RCA ostial DES '04.. Intimal hyperplasia
- Never mentioned by Dr that 50# of all stents fail in ten years. Mine is in ostium; if Int Hyper happens always and at ends of stents the opening occluded again major possibility. Radiation damage fe
So if your drug eluding stent is placed in the ostium and trouble (intimal hyperplasia) occurs at ends of stents then postal opening is in double-triple trouble. Had this done NINE years ago, never been told regrowth = of 100% of stents, 50% completely fail within ten years . And no one SAYS anything?????????? I'm in my 9th year!!!!! Can they resent it? Laser cutterage(sp?)? Right on the opening so how do you do a bypass ....??????? Pull a thoracic artery and just make a new opening or something????? Anybody know???? My Dr.'s never even mentioned restenting was ever needed! Feeling too young to leave the planet,64 but dad lived to 96!! Any ideas?????? My cholesterol from right eating only is 140 so.. C
- —Guest Michelle
How many Stents? Can be inserted?
- I have had seven (7) heart attacks and todays count is Ten (10) stents in my heart in various locations. My Mother and brother also have had the same number of heart attacks and stents anyone know what the max is before open heart~bypass is manditory?
- —Guest Marc Butzin
- I'm 40 years i was@ work and started having real bad chest pain i get to Harper hospital they explained to me i.was having a heart attack my lad was 100 pecent blocked they put i stent in i stayed 4 days i was home a day and was rushed bck because i was having a heart attack doctor said my lad was blocked again because cause i was clotting Im okay now feeling fine just enjoyin life
- —Guest Rhonda Mcclain
95% RCA Blockage
- I had a heart attack with 90 LAD which i had angioplast with a stent placed. I recently went to my cardiologist and he said I also have a 95% RCA blockage. I was wondering why they did not correct it the day I had my first blockage.
- —Guest tfw
- I had my first heart attack when i was 31. It was the widow maker but, i survived. Had second one at 32 and now at 33 in two weeks i go in to have another stent put in. I am scared. No one else around me has had a heart attack and doesn't understand my fear of not knowing when the next one will happen. I have a 4 year old son. I want to live atleast long enough to see him turn 20. Would love to talk to other heart attack patients.
- —Guest Tammy Lopez
Open Heart Bypasses Don't Always Work...
- Had MI at age 28, kept at Milwaukee County for 21 days of observation by cardiac and endocrine departments. Next MI was three years later, another cath, blockage, but not enough for surgery or stenting. 2 years later MI, 95% blockage in two arteries, stented both. 1 year later, 88 and 98% blockage in another upper artery, 2 more stents. Did well per the cardiac issues until early 2011. Ended up with 3 bypasses (HORRIBLE RECUPERATION AND PAIN...still have rib pain and tenderness 1 1/2 years later). Bypasses done in March, participated in cardiac rehab (only younger dark haired person there), and ended up finding out with yet another cath that all three bypasses had closed up within two months. Finally found a cardiologist and hospital who would perform left main artery stenting. I could have avoided the open heart had the hospital who did it offered the left main stenting. Ripping my chest open, and then having all three stents close at the same time was doctor error.
- —Guest Joanne
- my left neck artery is 100 % closed can not do anything with that side, my left side was 75% blocked so i had a stent put in. it was discovered when my left eye clouded over and i could not see for a few minutes. Was told i am very lucky to be here there are usually no warning signs. my question is his i have been on stains for over 30 years have tried all types could not tolerate any of these. my level is usually about 200-280. i have stopped smoking, eating right and walking every day. i am on plavix and aspirin...is statin really necessary or do i risk a stoke without taking statin
- —Guest Ann Falco
precautions for the Stent
- I was having pain whenever I bend and on Angio, discovered 99% blockade in only in one. Stent fixed 4 months back.
!. What is the Life of Stent -- I am now 78 living In India.
2.what precautions should I take aprt from Drugs. Can I exercise, bending to the knee and all other fitness excecises.
3. Dr says I cannot pull out one Loose denture for anothe 6 months.
- —Guest Ramamurthy Jnaga
- Im 34 years old and i was at work when i had my heart attack, yeah it was scary and when i got to the hospital i actually died for 26 sec had to be transports to best hospital in ohio for hearts and i had the best doc, well my circum and bback circum was blocked 95 precent had two stents 4 days in the hospital and i have changed my life style alot
- —Guest brock
reason for stent
- I suffered an acute heart attack so the emergency surgeon quickly saved my life by implanting a stent to unblock the artery that was plugged.
- —Guest Peter Wassill
Why were you given a stent
- My right coronary artery was 95% blocked. When they tried to open the artery it disected and they had to put ten stents into the artery to keep it together. I was wondering if this was a record for one artery?
- —Guest Joan
6 Stents in 3 procedures & still here!
- 2.5 years ago a Exercise Stress Test showed 2 different issues suggesting problems - I had no discomfort after 17 mInutes.
Rushed to Cath Lab & had an angiogram 20 minutes later.
LAD was 99.5% blocked for the entire length & there were blockages in the RCA & Circumflex.
Bypass was not an option - no-where to attach a graft.
Ended up with 2 Stents in the LAD & 2 in the RCA. Balloon Agioplasty in the Circumflex.
2 months ago I had chest pain while jogging. The stents in the LAD had restenosis. The RCA stents were still patent & the Circumflex blockage was still about 65%.
My Cardiologist thinks the problem might have been scarring because only the stents were where the new blockages were.
I'm free to resume exercise & plan to return to bushwalking. I did a 35 kilometer walk a month before the chest pain & a 45 kilometre walk a few weeks before that.
I've been told each time I've had stents that it was my fitness level that saved me.
Enjoy the moment... Live every day!
- —Guest lambertia
- I had mild chest pain. Had angiogram which showed 95% blockage in right artery. Stent placed. Saved my live.
- —Guest Jax
Five Stent Surprise
- I started getting short of breath when walking my dogs. On two occassions I had to lean against a tree until I could continue the walk. My Doctor sent me for a Nuclear Stress test that showed minor ischema. I was then scheduled for a Cardiac Catherization on 14 May 2011. Prior to the procedure I was assured that it was routine and they didn't expect to find anything as I had completed the Treadmill portion of the test completely with only minor discomfort. I was in the Cath lab for five hours with three Doctors. I couldn't believe it when I woke up rolling down the hall on a stretcher and my wife told me I had received five stents. I've been really tired since and understand its proably from the medication.