1. Health

Studies now show that smoking is the major cause of heart attacks in people under 40 years of age. Read what this means - for younger smokers, and for those not so young - here.

Comments
April 15, 2008 at 8:32 am
(1) sarah says:

i think that snoking is great to releave stress and i think that it is stupid that we cannot smoke wherever we want!

August 14, 2008 at 7:11 am
(2) Mother sister says:

well i am 37 yr female and just suffered a heart attack due to smoking. i’ve been smoking for 22 yrs and did it to myself. my whole life style must change. if you decide to understand that this is you hurting your body, you wouldn’t worry about where you should smoke!!! happy smoking or not!!! grown up!!!

July 19, 2009 at 7:15 pm
(3) mike13009 says:

Smoking also was a major factor in my heart attack. I was lucky and survived. My new life is much more rewarding without the smoking and alot healthier. My advice to any smoker GIVE IT UP

July 26, 2010 at 12:55 pm
(4) Patti says:

If the choice you make is, I will continue to smoke, no one can stop you !It is a proven fact that Nicotine has a deleterious effect on on blood vessels .We all have choice but their are times when we have to exercise restraint also to help ourselves, you may have a genetic problem that increases your probability of having a further heart attack, having had one heart attack there is damage anyway, so to prevent further damage to already damaged arteries has to be a good thing. No matter how much you you change your lifestyle, Its a hard choice to make to restrict what we eat and, give up cigarettes ,at the end of the day the choice is our. Why not Google the effect Nicotine has the heart!

July 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm
(5) Georges says:

My afib went away for 6 months after I experimented sleeping sitting in bed, because I noticed that my afib was triggered by skip beats while lying down and or taking the reclining position on a chair. All I had to do when the skiping started was to get up and/or take a straight position right away.If I waited , toio long BOOM ! Afib kicked in! Why? Nobody knows and nobody cares (doctors) to try to find out except taking your money. The cause I beleive is my Sliding Hiatus Stomach hernia .. because it does not make any sense to me that the heart would skip by just taking a reclining position even slightly!

August 9, 2010 at 10:15 am
(6) Arnthal says:

I am 76, lived a sedentary life for 15-20 years, smoked for over 20, had a massive history of heart disease on my mother’s side. I had a heart attack 30 years ago, after which I went into the pool and trained as I had when I was on the college swimming team. I had quit smoking 6 years before the heart attack. Nevertheless I have had 2 more heart attacks, A-Fib removed by an ablation, but since returned after 5 years; 4 episodes of pericarditis, PVCs galore and now a tendency toward ventricular tachycardia, even though I am normally bradycardic. I almost did not survive my first episode of tachycardia. I was saved by it occuring in the hospital and the quick response of doctors and nurses. I now wear a pacemaker-defibrillator. All this arrhythmia is one result of my 3 heart attacks, which distorted the dimensions of various parts of my heart. As a result of all this cardiac activity, I have been in the hospital 14 times since 2001. If you can avoid my experience through lifestyle changes while you are still young, I would strongly recommend it. It can save you a lot of grief further down the road which will make the inconvenience of quitting smoking and other changes pale in comparison. That is, if you survive your first heart attack.

June 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm
(7) Sted says:

Arnthal, may God continue to bless you!

July 1, 2011 at 2:22 am
(8) santwana says:

Smoking has a harmful affect in our body so why to smoke. In fact nobody smokes to get addicted but when we know the health problems due to it, it becomes too late.