1. Health

Richard N. Fogoros, M.D.

Apparently, Some Red Yeast Rice Still Contains Lovastatin

By August 10, 2007

There has been a lot of confusion out there about red yeast rice. Eight or ten years ago studies showed that this over-the-counter dietary supplement was quite effective at reducing cholesterol levels. However, that was because one of the "natural" ingredients turned out to be lovastatin, a statin drug marketed as Mevacor and Altocor. (Statins were originally derived from yeast products; the lovastatin in red yeast rice is "natural.") When the FDA found out that red yeast rice contained a regulated substance (i.e., an effective drug), it banned these products unless extra steps were taken to remove lovastatin.

The story of whether available red yeast rice products, over the last decade, actually have contained lovastatin is ridiculously complex and cryptic, but as recently as a few months ago the FDA (and DrRich) thought that all such products finally had been made completely bereft of any whiff of lovastatin (and thus, of any efficacy.)

Yesterday, however, the FDA issued a warning to consumers and health care professionals: some red yeast rice products, in fact, still contain lovastatin. These, according to the FDA's bulletin, are "Red Yeast Rice and Red Yeast Rice/Policosonal Complex, sold by Swanson Healthcare Products, Inc. and manufactured by Nature’s Value Inc. and Kabco Inc., respectively; and Cholestrix, sold by Sunburst Biorganics." The FDA warns consumers to avoid these products.

There is little doubt that these products are at this moment being rapidly purged from your grocers' shelves. DrRich is passing this along as a public service to the nation, and to all those people who have been writing to ask me if I know of any red yeast rice products that still contain a statin. I can finally answer: Yes, but only for a very limited time.

If you want to reduce your cholesterol by taking a statin, but without losing your shirt to the big drug companies, ask your doctor about generic statin drugs. They're readily available, really only a bit more expensive than red yeast rice, and as a bonus the statin dosage (which is known, unlike with the "natural" product) can be controlled and adjusted to optimize your results. And think of all the gas you'll save by not having to drive to 20 - 30 stores to find the last few bottles of effective red yeast rice before the feds do.

Comments
August 13, 2007 at 8:52 pm
(1) Ada A. Di Scipio says:

I have been taking red yeast rice, lovastatin and currently red yeast rice again for the last year and a half. In january of this year (2007) I started loosing my hair. Doctors have not been able to detrmine the cause. I am currently off lovastatind and have been taking red yeast rice since April. My hair is still falling out from the root. Could red yeast rice cause hair loss?

August 14, 2007 at 8:30 am
(2) heartdisease says:

Not that I know of, but anything is possible. If your doctor wants you off lovastatin, then you should stop taking red yeast rice. Even the FDA doesn’t know for sure which of these products contains lovastatin.

August 16, 2007 at 11:36 am
(3) Theresa says:

Swanson Health products has issued a statement regarding their Red Yeast Rice.

The FDA notified Swanson Health Products that we cannot sell our current red yeast rice formulations, and therefore we have pulled the products from sale. Lovastatin is a naturally occurring component of red yeast rice; however, the FDA has taken issue with the level of lovastatin that is in our products based on their testing. The products will be reformulated and returned to our shelves as soon as possible.

For years Swanson Health Products has far exceeded the quality assurance standards set by the federal government for dietary supplements. Since 2001, we’ve participated in the GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) program of the Natural Products Association, and we have consistently received their “A” rating for our compliance to it. Swanson Health Products is committed to complying with all laws and regulations pertaining to our products.

Swanson Health Products is located in Fargo, ND, and has been a leading vitamin and health products company since 1969. Our customers are number one and to prove that, we offer powerful guarantees. All products are backed by a 100% Satisfaction, Money-Back Guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase for any reason, simply return the unused portion for a full refund of the purchase price.

August 18, 2007 at 3:43 pm
(4) Cathy says:

Too bad they are pulling the red rice yeast. I took it for a month and by LDL level went down about 60 points. I feel better than I have in years and attribute it to the rry and niacin.

August 19, 2007 at 8:31 pm
(5) Damn the FDA says:

I didn’t like the side effects with lipitor and stopped taking it.

Red yeast rice worked almost as good, negligible side effects, and no hassles with the doc and going in every 6 months for a blood draw/liver function test.

I doubt that the FDA ever considers how many people they kill versus how many they save by their heavy handed and authoritarian activities. Damn those guys.

August 20, 2007 at 9:32 am
(6) Rita says:

Could the Red Yeast Rice producers (Swanson, etc.) sell to us online? My daughter and I need the statin but can’t tolerate pharmaceuticals as well as the natural statin. How long will we put up with the drug companies’ foot on our necks!?! This is an outrage.

August 28, 2007 at 4:37 pm
(7) Mary says:

My husband is still taking Red Yeast Rice. His Dr. was informed and gave the okay with the stipulation that YOU DO NEED A LIVER CK EVERY 6 mos. because of the statin content. His total cholesterol dropped dramatically. He started with 4 capsules daily….had muscle soreness, dropped back to 2/day, the slowly went back up to 3, then 4 /day with no side effects. Not only is Red Yeast Rice effective (at least the brand he takes) but much less expensive. The pharmaceuticals want total control of any effective preparation. Sad that all our options are being removed….It’s our health, let us make that choice as to what we want to take….as long as our Drs know about it, what is the problem. It’s really all about “the MONEY”!

August 29, 2007 at 11:16 am
(8) Bill says:

If any individual person had been responsible for the number of deaths caused or hastened by the FDA, he would be known as the greatest mass killer in US history.

September 7, 2007 at 5:30 am
(9) Steven Nee says:

I am a manufacturer of red yeast rice from China. I don’t understand why FDA limited the RYR. It is a natural ingredient, and its merchanism are complex.

September 14, 2007 at 8:18 am
(10) chris says:

God forbid the FDA would look out for the consumers..maybe ordinary people need a lobbying group in DC like the drug companies have

September 16, 2007 at 10:17 am
(11) v leone says:

i was told by my doctor to take 1200 mg ryr along with my regular 240mgs co-q10 and 500 mg niacin and omegas and lecithin granuals. i would like to know if there is a chance for bad reaction from combining these vitamins . due to the fact i take them together .

September 23, 2007 at 11:52 pm
(12) Linda Tharp says:

I have been taking red rice yeast for the past year, I assume without the statin but still have had good results in lowering my choleserol.

September 29, 2007 at 12:47 am
(13) fda doesn't serve us says:

Last year I started taking one tablet of Red Rice Yeast, it worked well. This year at check up time my LdL was 131 and Tri’s were 160, a considerable jump The stuff I started on worked but the revised stuff doesn’t. Be warned. The health food stores need to quit selling the stuff without telling people that it is changed imo.

September 29, 2007 at 12:54 am
(14) pamela says:

Every one I know usen red yeast rice and are doing very well ,think FDA needs to stay out of things that work and better for pocket book

October 2, 2007 at 9:19 pm
(15) Tracy says:

Would someone who has used a particular brand of red yeast rice with success (ie, lower cholesterol, apparently no to few side effects) please recommend a brand and dosage? I just started taking it and am curious about whether or not what I’m taking will be effective.

October 2, 2007 at 10:59 pm
(16) Elizabeth says:

or else the unscrupulous “Herbal” and “natural” drug makers who are only looking
to make a profit will kill us all!

October 3, 2007 at 7:21 am
(17) Catherine says:

Elizabeth – Instead of blasting the “herbal and Natural” supplements…..and saying they “kill us all”………PROVIDE PROOF OF HOW YOU “KNOW” THIS!

October 10, 2007 at 10:32 pm
(18) Mechelle says:

Yeah really, it’s not like the big pharm companies have never contributed and/or caused someone to die…get real. Wonder what the numbers would show if we compaired the two…I would be willing to bet that the big pharm companies are getting a lot richer from us than the natural product companies. A friend of mine who used to be a sales rep to one of those big pharm companies said they were told the instill the fear of God into Drs regarding the risk of natural products. So what do you think about that?

October 14, 2007 at 2:53 pm
(19) Carol P. says:

Just got results of blood work … my total cholesterol was 313 !!!

I have been put on three cholesterol lower prescriptions and had to stop due to side effects.

I to would like to know the brand of RYR people have used that has helped lower their cholesterol ….. PLEASE !

I just bought a brand at the health food store: RYR by TRADITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS … 1200 mg ….

November 5, 2007 at 5:38 pm
(20) Rachel says:

For all of you out there that think the FDA is out to please the drug companies so they can get our money, don’t you think the “Natural” health-food stores are looking to do the same thing? Do you not realize that these companies can potentially put anything they want in their products b/c they’re NOT regulated?

November 30, 2007 at 8:27 am
(21) George says:

My cholesterol level was 280, I started taking Red Yeast Rice twice a day and it dropped to 160.

December 2, 2007 at 8:43 pm
(22) Alcia says:

Hi, George. What kind were you taking? I want to know if what’s on the market currently is effecive.

December 3, 2007 at 1:46 pm
(23) Lourayne says:

did you hear back from George because I am interested in his answer to your question.

December 7, 2007 at 8:38 am
(24) Stan says:

I have just started to take RYR and was doing research to find out how effective it was and what the side effects were. I was very disappointed to find out that the effective products that contained the statin that would help people like was being pulled from the shelf. What, if any brand is still effective?

December 7, 2007 at 3:31 pm
(25) Sherry says:

So, is nobody going to answer the question everybody wants answered. What is the brand that is effective?

December 10, 2007 at 1:49 pm
(26) Will says:

My Cholesterol went from 230 to 170 in 5 months doing the following. Using rry almost every day in combination w/ Gugulipid (both Nature’s Plus brand). Also added Flax seed and lechithin to oatmeal (ate it every other day). Also used Co enzyme 10 and took extra potasuium (for heart) in combination with a Multi-vitamin (Nature’s Plus). My doctor said – ‘Keep doing what ever it is you’re doing!’ Ironically, when I told her what it was, she just shrugged and said ‘I don’t know anything about that stuff’ and buried her head back into my blood result paper. ANNOYING!

December 12, 2007 at 8:47 am
(27) Joe says:

My PA recently suggested that I start taking RYR, but when I went online and found this site I was somewhat bothered by all the discussion and lack of availability. Are the docs and PA’s up to date on this?

December 13, 2007 at 10:04 am
(28) tom says:

I started RERice for 2 moths and my total cholestrol went down from 270 to 230 but LDL remains high at 169.

Any one konws about which brand is good for Lowering LDL
thanks

December 13, 2007 at 10:07 am
(29) Tom says:

George can you tell me which brand you are taking.
thanks

December 19, 2007 at 7:41 am
(30) Dorothy says:

I had a heart attack exactly one year ago today. I had no insurance. Hopsital bills aside, the drugs that I was prescribed came to a whopping $250.00 per month. On a part-time bartenders salary, that was impossible. I happened to meet a retired heart doctor who advised me to take RYR instead of the prescribed drug and a baby aspirin. I just had a check-up; all of my levels are now great. I am not suggesting that anyone go off a regime that a physician has put you on. But for me, these simple moves have made a world of difference to my health as well as my pocketbook!

December 31, 2007 at 1:51 am
(31) Tee says:

I’ve been up all night trying to find out where to buy ryr. My Cholesterol level is elivated and my Dr wants me to take Lipador. Ireally need to find a safe and natural ryr product. Got any suggestions?

January 2, 2008 at 11:46 am
(32) Thom Baker says:

Hi, everyone. I have been taking RYR since May, 1200 mg twice daily. After just 4 weeks, my LDL count dropped by about 25%, and the HDLs increased by 10%, putting my total cholesterol under 200. So, I bought a 6-month supply from Vitamin World. Now, I need to replenish my supply, but the lovastatin controversy made me call Vitamin World. They say that there were companies *adding* lovastatin to their RYR, and that is why the FDA is objecting. The lady I spoke to assured me that Vitamin World has not changed their manufacturing process of RYR, because their RYR contains only the naturally occuring amount of lovastatin.
I’ll see the doctor next week, and am curious to see if the LDL level is lower.

January 14, 2008 at 2:30 pm
(33) Margie says:

What brand of red rice yeast is effective?

January 18, 2008 at 3:12 pm
(34) Theresa says:

I would suggest taking anything that is an extract. The levels will be higher than just regular RYR

January 25, 2008 at 10:11 pm
(35) Jan Jenkins says:

Solaray has the best Red Yeast Rice I know of.

I have been taking this brand for years. As far as I know, it is very trustworthy

January 25, 2008 at 10:13 pm
(36) Jan says:

I know Solaray contains red yeast rice and has a great reputation.

It doesn’t have any lovastatin in it. Only the Cholestin3.

January 29, 2008 at 9:42 am
(37) Carol says:

Is Rexall Red Yeast Rice safe? I have been taking it about a year and dropped 20 points.

February 1, 2008 at 4:35 pm
(38) Mike says:

Thom Baker is correct. The FDA is cracking down on RYR products that have lovastatin added to the RYR preparation prior to nanufacturing the dosage size. When this happens the product is no longer considered a dietary supplement , but a drug and that means the product must go through clinical trials as a new drug application.

Recently, the addition of lovastatin to RYR raw ingredients occured in material imported from China.

In addition, the lovastatin that is added is not a pharmaceutical grade and the impurities in the lovastatin drug may cause additional side effects.

Natural RYR products should be titered for potency and not necessarily sold by weight (mg)alone.

February 5, 2008 at 12:17 pm
(39) Mark says:

I have been struggling with my cholesterol for over 15 years now! I tried every statin and RX but all had bad side effects so I had to stop.I have been been using apple cider vinegar tablets for about 2 years now and my cholesterol dropped from 10.2 to 5.2 which is almost 50% and have no side effects. I would recommend anybody to try it, as it is not expensive and has many other benefits as well. Read about it online!

March 29, 2008 at 10:07 pm
(40) Dennis Sein says:

Lipitor is the biggest scam of the drug companies. They repackage a natural product, put a bunch of crap that is harmful to you and then get the FDA and the medical professionals to force it down out throats just to make a few dollars. A shame.

April 4, 2008 at 4:36 pm
(41) Jerome Prophet says:

The way you have written the article is somewhat odd. Red yeast rice is a natural product. It’s been consumed for generations by hundreds of millions around the world.

The statin it contains was “patented” by a pharm which then used lobbying to make the natural product illegal – to insure a monopoly.

What was a healthy safe product was turned into a controlled substance.

April 6, 2008 at 4:40 pm
(42) Emsee says:

I was taking the Rexall Brand of ryr purchased at Sam’s but when it disappeared from shelves late 07 I went without for 3 mos. I just got back on ryr purchased from Puritan’s Pride. Can anyone vouch for PP’s ryr? I too, think that anytime I can get better health while avoiding prescription drugs, I will do it. Anyone on this board who gives testimonials for ryr would serve us all well by stating the BRAND they are having success or failure with. Thank you all!

April 15, 2008 at 5:28 pm
(43) John says:

I have been taking RYR from PP for the past 6 month, my overall cholesterol level jumped to borderline, my MD is pleased with the result.

April 16, 2008 at 3:42 pm
(44) Chris says:

John, it jumped and your physician was pleased? Do you mean it went down with the Puritan Pride?

April 18, 2008 at 8:24 pm
(45) john says:

Yes it went down with Puritan Pride, I take 3 RYR pills daily.

April 21, 2008 at 1:19 pm
(46) Mike says:

I just bought Rexall RRY at Sam’s Club over the weekend. 180 capsules, 600mg each, $9.12. Bottle’s label recommends 2 capsules, which “contain 1,200 milligrams of Red Yeast Rice Powder from the botanical Monascus purpureus.”

I just started taking it, so no news of results.

April 23, 2008 at 11:01 pm
(47) steele says:

I have numerous patients on a formula called Heart Savior out of New Health Corp. This product has Non-flushing Niacin,Gugglipid,Policosanol,Plant Sterols,Coenzyme Q-10 and RYR all in one capsule. Patients love it b/c the don’t have to take numerous supplements and their LDL’s and Total cholesterol levels are significantly reduced.

April 26, 2008 at 12:32 am
(48) doug says:

Another big government plot to control anything natural that will help people.
It’s always about the money.

April 30, 2008 at 11:01 am
(49) JB says:

I am taking Vitamin World’s Red Yeast Rice plus Co Q-10. I had my first blood work up but do not have the results at this time, however, my doctor always calls if there is a problem and needs to see me, yet, so far he has not called and this is almost 3 weeks ago. I only take one a day per directions. It must be doing it’s job. My Cholesterol probs are inherited. I eat organically, since birth!! My opinion of the FDA:
They need a new board of directors and decision makers. The majority of them just need the job and the money because there is generally no logic in the idea in regards to the health of the public, even though they are part of the ‘public’. Some of these people have been on the board way to long.

May 3, 2008 at 2:30 am
(50) RJ says:

My story:
I had started taking four capsules/day of the Swanson brand of RYR in 2005. My cholesterol dropped dramatically over six months. When the results came back that I was in the normal range, I decreased to two/day.

In June 2007, my cholesterol was increasing again so I decided to up my dose back to the four/day recommendations. On August 23 I was hospitalized for pancreatitis. Since I don’t drink, the docs were a little perplexed as to the reason for my illness. Finally, the discharge doc said that it was probably from the RYR. My husband found an FDA recall on this particular brand. Since then, I’ve been afraid to try another type.

I’ve tried four different cholesterol-lowering drugs with terrible side effects. I decided to try RYR again, but still afraid, especially if it’s made exclusively in China. Because my cholesterol problem is genetic, eating right and exercising does nothing for me, but I’ve got to lower it somehow. I read above that apple cider vinegar might help. Maybe I can try that also.

May 3, 2008 at 11:33 pm
(51) Caution with nature says:

People assumed that anything “natural” is harmless and that manufactured “drugs” are toxic. You have to remember that many “natural” remedies are effective for a reason, and in this case it seems to be effective because it is the same thing as the “chemical” medication. The FDA is regulating it because these medications, “natural” or manufactured have side effects that can be potentially dangerous. So the bottom line is that red yeast rice could potentially cause side effects due to the “natural chemicals” that it contains and thus it ought to be regulated as a medication. Remember that arsenic, marijuana, cocaine and opium are all “natural” substances but have potential for great harm. Be careful to be informed about what you’re taking and don’t just assume that something natural is completely safe.

May 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm
(52) john says:

I am confused? Did the FDA ban all ryr products or only those that were enhanced? It has worked for me but the last blood work showed a jump. Could it be the company deleted the statin and i dont know? Did only enhanced ryr show a decrease in c levels in the past?

May 29, 2008 at 2:34 pm
(53) LP says:

Steele… Have any of your patients had side effects from the Heart Savior? My mother (60) has been taking it for several weeks and has complained of general muscle weakness as well as heart palpitations. Thanks so much!

June 20, 2008 at 7:07 pm
(54) Jack says:

This Brand works with a proviso!! Test results follow! My Cholesterol is 240 (HDL ~70 and LDL ~140) and I have tried many different natural remedies to lower it w/o using statins[10mg/day Lipitor reduced LDL to ~70]. Avoiding Lipitor but using 2x 800mg/day No Flush Niacin(Inositol Hexanicotinate) HAD NO EFFECT, LDL remaining ~140. Flush Niacin 2x 500mg/day had no effect on LDL but lowered Triglicerides 20% and possibly increased HDL 8%. One 600mg capsule/day of Natures Plus brand Red Yeast Rice, purchased from the Life Extension Foundation, http://www.lef.org/ lowered total Cholesterol 70 points to 140 and reduced LDL 50 points to 90. HOWEVER, it also lowered the good HDL ~25% to 53 AND caused typical statin side effects such as reduced libido and muscle soreness.

August 8, 2008 at 9:43 pm
(55) Mary says:

At the above web site you will find the brand of Red Yeast Rice (600mg) that my husband and I use with great results (and the best price).
My husband’s cholesterol is now 189. He takes 4capsules/day and has a blood test every 6 months. His higest TC was 259.
I started with 2 capsules /day instead of 4 and my Total Cholesterol went from 281 to 219 in 3 months. Since getting such a good result, I am now taking 3 capsules/ day and will get another blood test in the future.
My Naturopath and medical doctors know I am taking this supplement and approve.
My Naturopath says she has never heard of anyone reporting liver damage with RYR. so the blood test isn’t really necessary. But I would recommend it to see if RYR is working.
I have a good HDL..was 139 and still remains over 100. Common for females to have this high/good cholesterol although it adds to the Total Cholesterol,it is still a good thing.
By the way you can’t take RYR and a prescription statin together. It’s one or the other.

September 24, 2008 at 7:19 pm
(56) Laurie says:

I have been taking RYR (Radiance) and Niacin for over a year and reduced my TC from 275 to 208 (at its lowest)however, I just had liver function tests done and they came back elevated, so will need to go back in for more testing to see what that is about. I will be curious to find out if it is the RYR causing this…..

October 12, 2008 at 3:01 pm
(57) mike says:

after reading much, it looks to me like ryr works, where the problem is: 1. patience is in reasonable doses, 2. as drug co. vitamin co. are also about the bottom line so if they, the ryr vendors, are inhancing their pills with the product in the pharma pill then yes i agree that the fda should regulate them and be a watch dog for us; however, this doesnot mean that the drug co. are not out to cause a monopoly on a single product; my faith in man, who is fueled by greed is low at the moment……… so bottom line: i am trying 2 different ryr one from Puritan 600mg and one from Swanson also 600mg w one pill a.m form one and the other in the p.m. hope this works because my levels, genetic, are up around 400+ and i have 3 kids and want to be around for much more than my 49 years of life.

October 12, 2008 at 3:12 pm
(58) mike says:

anyone know anything about Saki, rice wine which requires some fermentation? Japan has one of the righest rates of long life, and lowest rate of heart disease….. could itbe rice wine, i’d rather drink it than pop some pills… anyone ? ? email me back at mikezpainter at aol dot com

October 18, 2008 at 1:37 pm
(59) janet says:

10/08
walmart’s nature’s bounty 2 a day and 500mg trader’s joe’s slo-niacin (nicotinic acid) each x 2 months along with an inrease in fruits and veg along with less a moderate decrease in junky fats:

TC: from 286 to 200
HDL from 139 to 80
VLDL 28 to 16
LDL from 195 to 107

Will increase niacin from 500mg to 1000mg. I take it night right before i fall asleep so it doesn’t bother me.

October 18, 2008 at 3:10 pm
(60) janet says:

let me make a correction, i meant to say my HDL went from 63 to 77 and my triglycerides went from 139 to 80

November 2, 2008 at 1:35 am
(61) Bettawrekonize says:

This whole thing was a scam by the FDA. I describe the scam in more detail here.

December 3, 2008 at 1:58 pm
(62) Barry says:

The pharmaceutical companies put out disinformation.They are in league with the FDA, anyone should know that. They are like Nazis. Over the years they have banned and confiscated many good herbal remedies. Herbs are competion. They probably have someone bad mouthing herbs on this very forum. Swanson had great RYR. Now I don’t know where to find
any it’s equal

December 4, 2008 at 2:23 am
(63) swheeler says:

Great feedback, but still unclear about effectiveness of current ryr. wouldn’t hurt to try one of the brands for three months and check cholesterol levels. i didn’t see any evidence of the ban having to do with companies adding levostatin, it appears to be naturally occuring. The reformulation appears to be using another yeast strain that doesn’t produce the levostatin?

March 17, 2009 at 11:56 am
(64) Christian says:

This is yet another attempt for the FDA to control the supplements industry. If only they would recomend taking CoQ10 considering the statins lower you CoQ10 production. But then again, they will also prescribe you an antibiotic and shrug off taking a probiotic… that is, until they make a pharmaceutical version that would probably cost 200 buck with no insurance. Like their fish oil! Hah!

April 23, 2009 at 7:36 am
(65) Krestort says:

Recently one of my friends started an obsession with the actor Nicholas Cage (mostly because their names are both Nicholas – sounds strange but he is strange and that isn’t the point). After asking around the rest of my friends he seems to be a very controversial figure.
What does the forum think? do you love the all action superhero? Or do you hate the droning voice of the man who does nothing but action shooters?

May 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm
(66) Scotty says:

I have been using Cholestene by http://www.hpfonline.com since 2003 without any side affects. Everyone I tell about this brand has had similar positive results.

My TC went from 221 to 156 the first month. The other numbers improved to all be considered normal. Over time I noticed that while the TC remained excellent, my Trig and LDL were creaping back into the wrong direction. So recently I added Fish Oil and my TC and Trig decreased to their best ever.

I do not know if Cholestene reduced the lovastatin levels somewhere in the period between 2003 and now but it seems to still be working well for me with this combination.

May 27, 2009 at 2:14 pm
(67) Jill says:

I currently take blood pressure meds, is it ok to take red yeast rice??

July 15, 2009 at 3:16 am
(68) VLDL Cholesterol Range says:

Is red yeast hair good for cholesterol? Does it have any side effects? Please let me know. I want to use it. Thanks.

July 16, 2009 at 12:39 am
(69) Reduce Cholesterol Naturally says:

My cholesterol level has increased recently and I am looking for natural ways to reduce it. I think I can try red yeast rice. Thanks for the suggestion.

January 11, 2010 at 3:32 pm
(70) fluff1955 says:

Since having my gallbladder removed in 2008, my cholesterol has been high. My doctor suggested Red Yeast Rice. I have been taking it for 6 months and have not had any success at reducing my cholesterol. I guess the Lovostatin has been successfully removed to protect the pocketbooks of the big drug companies. Just called my doctor and requested she put me on a generic statin instead.

January 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm
(71) CaliforniaKayaker says:

I have found a 600 mg RYR tablet and when going on the web found that the page about this particular brand had been removed, Sundown. It was still on the shelf and the only dates are the expiration, which is 06/12 and the label copywrite write date 2008. I’m thinking I’ve found some and its in a discount store. Is there a chance this still has Lovastatin ?

February 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm
(72) Elsie says:

I have been taking rice yeast by Natures for 6 months and looking back, it is when I started loosing my hair.
I am not sure it is the root cause but I will stop taking it since my doctor and dermatologist cannot find reason why I am loosing hair.

February 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm
(73) gaiusgracchus says:

You know that the FDA is nothing but a bunch of whores to the pharmaceutical industry, right?

There is a revolving door from the FDA to the controlling, administrative postions in the drug companies.

Fleece the sheeple. It is funny how the warn they are taking this supplement that has been in use for thousands of years off the market to protect us. Yeah, right. Scumsuckers.

March 9, 2010 at 8:33 am
(74) Chal says:

Rexall brand Red Yeast Rice that is currently on the market contains no Lovastatin. It has been removed from the product. My Dr. has instructed me to stop taking it as the results of my most recent blood work has showed no decline in any of the Numbers. Rexall Brand use to work just fine,however that was prior to FDA stepping in.

March 17, 2010 at 9:19 pm
(75) Rich says:

my cholesterol was 252 went to gnc bought red yeast rice brand traditonal supplements my cholesterol went form 252 to 184 how about that with no sid4e effects i love it was on zocor for 4 months side affect like u wouldnt beleive and my cholesterol is lower now with the rye than the zocor

March 29, 2010 at 7:26 pm
(76) barronbras says:

bush store fossil physical amplified

September 9, 2010 at 1:09 pm
(77) Ben says:

You’re not allowed to patent naturally occurring substances. So when the active ingredient in these drugs was discovered in Red Yeast Rice, why didn’t they revoke the patent on those drugs? Instead they ban the effective element of the natural product?!

America: Of the corporations, for the corporations and by the corporations…

November 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm
(78) gaiusgracchus says:

THE FDA ARE NOTHING BUT WH0RES TO THE PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY.

When are people going to get a clue? The officials at the FDA have a revolving door to jobs in private industry as CEO’s or on the boards that control the big pharmaceutical companies.

They are banning a substance that has been used for hundreds of years for health benefits just to protect their financial interests. The warnings about red yeast rice are nothing but BS.

Damn the FDA.

December 12, 2010 at 6:43 pm
(79) irok says:

I started losing my hair in October after taking Red Rice Yeast (Solgar 2400mg/day) for about a month at my doctor’s suggestion. I recently found something on the internet that noted Red Rice Yeast is contraindicated in patients with Thyroid Disease (although it didn’t elaborate on why.) I have been on thyroid meds for 10 years after being treated with RAI for Graves Disease.
When I started losing my hair I also developed Thyrotoxicosis. Just wondering if this was all related to the Red Rice Yeast, or if it’s just coincidence.
Incidentally, I asked to have my cholesterol retested last week with some other labs and it was significantly lower :)

December 21, 2010 at 11:16 am
(80) volrooster says:

Is anyone taking RYR having problems with heart palpitations? I have been taking for 3 months and having palpitations – I have tried several pharmaceutical cholesterol lowering drugs which had side effects I could not tolerate – severe muscle weakness with Pravastatin, heart racing, flushing with Niaspan. I have ruled out everything else so the RYR must be causing the palpitations, so I may try the apple cider vinegar tablets.

March 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(81) Eastie Frank says:

Is anyone taking heart savior? I just stopped my pravastat and went on ryr but am now reading about heart savior.

March 23, 2011 at 7:24 pm
(82) Maurice Kaufman says:

I also started losing my hair when I began taking RRY several years ago. When I stopped, the hair grew back. I started on Crestor shortly after with the same effect and discontinued it as a result. I may have high cholesterol but I am have a full head of hair! lol

May 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(83) BOB says:

I TAKE 1200MGS A DAY OF RYR, 1500MG OF NIACIN , AND 2000MG OF FISH OIL DAILY. NO SIDE AFFECTS, BUT MY TRY. HAVE LEVELED OFF AT 179. I WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THIS, MY GOOD CHOL. IS 20, AND MY BAD CHOL. IS 70, SO I WANTED TO IMPROVE. MY DOCTOR SAID FOR ME TO CUT BACK ON NIACIN TO 1000MGS A DAY AND TAKE, PRAVASTATIN, AND SEE WHAT THE OUT COME IS. SIDE AFFECTS COULD BE A LOSS OF APPITITE. SO HERE WE GO, I ALSO LOST 14LBS, AND PLAY GOLF. WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO? YES THE FDA IS A JOKE, LOVE THERE BIG KICK BACKS FROM DRUG COMPANIES, AND SIT BACK AND LAUGH AT US. WE ALSO CAN ORDER FROM CANADIAN PHARM., IT IS LEGAL!

June 13, 2011 at 7:03 am
(84) sadie says:

I have researched brands extensively. Per Consumer Reports there are only a few RYR that are 1) free of citrinin and 2)standardized w/a minimum of 1.5% monoclins: Here are some choices:

21st Century/Healthy America/Schiff/Chole-stern/Natures Plus by Source Naturals.

June 23, 2011 at 10:18 pm
(85) Laura says:

I just started taking RYR, 600 mg, Nature’s Plus and it may be a coincidence but since it says to take in the PM, for best results, I cannot sleep well. It works like a pep up. Do any of you have this problem?

January 16, 2012 at 11:35 am
(86) kora says:

I began taking Simvastatin about 3 months ago and my hair is falling out, and I know I have not changed anything else in my diet. I have stopped taking it and considering going on Red Yeast Rice, but want to give my hair a chance to go back to normal. Don’t know what to do, but the hair thing is very tramatic..has anyone had this problem…

January 20, 2012 at 3:58 pm
(87) Tina says:

Well….I started taking RYR in June and then had my cholesterol tested in December. It didn’t lower my LDL by much but it raised my HDL and lowered my TC.
I also noticed my hair was very dry and brittle and when I stopped taking the RYR it went back to normal….now that I’m taking it again, it’s very dry again. Not sure if the RYR is what is causing it but seems like it.
I’m mostly getting concerned about all the stuff I’ve been reading about RYR and whether or not it is safe….

February 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm
(88) Joan says:

I purchase my red yeast rice from Walmart/Walgreen’s. Take 1200 daily. Take no other meds..and I am 76. Have no health problems…yet. Taking ryr..as a precaution.

April 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm
(89) Irene says:

I have taken ryr for 7 years. It has controled my cholesterol ,and I still take it .I send to Purtain Pride for mine .cost is low and it still works.

January 14, 2013 at 9:18 pm
(90) Alexandra Lanza says:

I am responding to a comment above from LP who said his mother is taking Heart Savior and now has heart palpatations. I also tried the Heart Savior to try to lower my genetic high cholesterol and I also came down with a bad case of heart palpatations. I stopped taking the Heart Savior. I’ve been hesitant about taking the red yeast rice because I take a blood thinning med every day. I read somewhere that RYR doesn’t have side affects with blood thinners but I don’t know what or who to believe anymore. The internet is filled with contridictions on about every subject you can think of. I am going to try the red yeast rice regardless because I’ve more good than bad about it. My cholesterol is about 250 with 70 HDL. My LDL is high though. My doc told me after my last check-up that if my cholesterol hasn’t dropped she is going to put me on perscription cholesterol lowering pills and I hate the thought because I tried them once and had bad side affects. Want to get on the RYR before my next checkup in three months. Hope it helps. P.S. The Pharmacudicles/FDA are making billions on their “approved” perscription drugs and don’t want the natural, probably way more healthier supplements to get too popular or they will lose their a–es!

April 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm
(91) Ann says:

Hi. My husband had in the past taken Lipitor and developed muscle cramping. Was taken off of that and then put on a combination tx. of Zetia 10mg daily with Simvastatin 40mg daily AND Fenofibrate (Tricor) 160mg TWICE DAILY. What I found out was the highest recommended dose for Fenofibrate is 160mg daily NOT twice daily. He has been taking these for a few years now and in January developed debilitating muscle and joint pain. He’s been through his PCP, Ortho and Rheum with no answer. I recently was thinking that no doctor had addressed these medications. I work in the medical field and spoke with a fellow Internal Physician at work and she recommended he stop the lipid lowering drugs and see how things are in two weeks. I personally have been taking CholesLo (HFLSOLUTIONS.com ) and after my first month of taking that, my lipid panel was back within the normal range with my HDL exceptional! I have a hx. of high triglycerides and have maintained in this range for several years now. I started him on CholesLo and it will be interesting to see what his labs show in a few months. I had to share this information. Hope it helps.

February 25, 2014 at 5:14 pm
(92) Matt says:

The FDA needs to be banned themselves…

April 9, 2014 at 3:43 pm
(93) Amy says:

I am 5 feet tall and weight 90 lbs but my cholesterol is way too high because it runs in the family. Recently, my doctor wanted to put me on a prescription drug to lower my cholesterol but I refused. I did some research online for a natural product and came upon a drug called CholesLo. Has anyone tried this one and does it work?

Greatly appreciate your response.